Markinch Bowling Club is closely monitoring all available information related to the continued spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the Scottish Government & Bowls Scotland.
The welfare of all our members, coaches, and workforce is of paramount importance. This communication is designed to inform, rather than alarm, and contains relevant links to the most up to date guidance from the Government and NHS Scotland regarding novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Government has issued advice around travel to and from certain areas as novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation develops. Please read the latest advice here. This is updated regularly.
- It is our expectation that all Markinch Bowling Club members will comply with the latest Government and NHS guidance. This can be found on the NHS Scotland Website. If you feel unwell, please call NHS 24 (111) for advice.
Practical Tips for the Bowling Community from Bowls Scotland:
At this time, it is recommended that that the following precautions are taken for group gatherings including tournaments, meetings and workshops:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds frequently.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available.
- Make soap and/or hand sanitiser and disposable tissues easily accessible.
- Avoid contact with sick people, including avoiding close contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. Dispose of the tissue immediately and wash your hands.
- Practice cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, wash hands)
- Avoid touching your face and mouth to reduce the chance of passing an infection to yourself.
- Monitor illness and avoid public gatherings if you are showing signs of infections, disease or virus.
- Close physical contact with an opponent that may expose a player to risk, such as picking up teammates or opponents bowls, shaking hands, delivering the jack, picking up mats, measuring etc. Implement an elbow bump protocol to replace handshake and hugging greetings. Also ensure equipment is cleaned after use, if there is multiple use.
- If you become unwell prior to travel, it is recommended that you organise a review with your GP prior to travel, to ensure it is medically safe to travel.
- If you become unwell and are due to play, it is recommended that you do not attend training or competition, and organise a review with your GP to ensure it is safe to train and minimise infectious spread
- There is no need to alter your exercise or training if you are feeling well.
- There is no need to wear a mask in public if you are well.
- Size and proximity of crowds attending the event. Any mass gathering represents an increased opportunity for infection spread. The Scottish government has issued a statement that their recommendation is for “mass gatherings” of 500 people or more be cancelled.
The Markinch Bowling Club committee will monitor the situation, follow the guidance outlined and announce any updates when required.