Markinch Bowling Club Established
In June 1863, the Club was instituted and confirmed by the Fife Bowling Association. It was on 7th April, 1865 that 26 gentlemen met in the Galloway Inn and formed themselves into a Club, named Markinch Bowling Club. During April and May that year negotiations with Balgonie Estate took place to acquire a suitable site to form a bowling green. A constitution was drawn up and an annual subscription in the form of share certificates, to the value of 10/- were issued, entitling the purchaser to one vote per every 10/- certificate. Over the next year the green was sowed, water supply laid on and all necessary equipment e.g. roller, grass cutter were obtained and a greenkeeper was engaged. On 3rd July, 1866 Mr. C. Adamson, President, complimented all the members on the completion of the green and declared the green open, by throwing the first bowl.