During the 1930s
During the 1930’s the Club’s finances were causing problems and were unable to give donations neither to the South African Bowls Tour nor the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in 1937. There were problems of liquor supplies during the 2nd World War, but the Club continued to function. However, due to rationing it was decided that members could not invite visitors into the Refreshment Bar, as our liquor quota was insufficient to supply members.
The problem of liquor supplies continued, especially of whisky and J.Haig & Co. was approached to see if they could supply a small quantity of rum and gin. In December, 1943, the Committee decided not to sell whisky on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In June 1944, Mr.W.Dowie donated the Dowie Trophy, known as the Balblair Shield, to be played annually between Markinch and Balgonie to further the friendship between the Clubs. This trophy is still being played for to this day.